Statement issued by the US-based campaign “Revive the Peace Movement Network” with an Introduction by the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency, 9 August 2018, www.thecommunists.net
Introduction by the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT)
Below we reprint an interesting statement which has been issued by the US-based campaign “Revive the Peace Movement Network” (RPM). The reasons for reprinting it are that the RCIT agrees with the basic positions outlined in the statement. These fundamentally correct positions are:
* Opposition to any economic sanctions as well as to military aggression of the US against Iran;
* No support for the CIA-led provocateurs like MEK and others;
* Support for the popular protests in Iran against the regime;
* Opposition against the Iranian regime’s massive aid for the tyrannical Assad regime in Syria.
We do not want to hide our differences respectively the issues which are missing in our opinion. The most important criticism of the RCIT is that we do not only oppose the imperialist aggression against Iran. We go further and stand for the unconditional military defence of that country and for the defeat of US imperialism.
Furthermore the RCIT supports the resistance of the Yemeni people against the Saudi aggression and, hence, we do not criticize the regime in Teheran for any practical assistance it might offer to those defending Yemen.
Finally, the very name of the campaign “Peace Movement Network” suggests a strong influence of (or at least adaption towards) petty-bourgeois pacifism. In opposite to this ideology, as Marxists we are convinced that it is impossible to overcome imperialist aggression without violence of the oppressed.
Having clarified these critical remarks, we want to repeat that we welcome this document as a progressive and important statement against the US aggression in the Middle East. Such a resolution is particularly welcome in times where opposition against the US aggression is dominated by Stalinist, semi-Stalinist and liberal forces which combine their anti-war stance with unashamed support (critical or not critical) for the regime in Teheran, for Assad and often also for the new emerging imperialist powers Russia and China (see e.g. the WWP, PSL, ANSWER in the US or the CPB, Counterfire and the “Stop the War Coalition” in Britain). Such pseudo-“anti-imperialist” opposition against Trump’s war drive in the Middle East is in fact anti-US but pro-Russian and pro-Chinese social-imperialism. Authentic socialists have nothing to do with such reactionary forces.
For a more detailed elaboration of the RCIT’s position we refer readers to our following statements on Iran and the US aggression:
Warmongering in the Middle East: Down with all Imperialist Great Powers and Capitalist Dictatorships! Joint Statement of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT), Alkebulan School of Black Studies (Kenya), Pacesetters Movement (Nigeria), Pan-Afrikan Consciousness Renaissance (Nigeria), Marxist Group ‘Class Politics’ (Russia), and Sınıf Savaşı (Turkey), 13 May 2018, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/joint-statement-warmongering-in-the-middle-east/
Michael Pröbsting: The Mad Man plays with fire, again. A Commentary on Trump’s Decision to Pull the U.S. out of the Iran Nuclear Deal, 9 May 2018, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/trump-pulls-u-s-out-of-iran-nuclear-deal/
RCIT: Long Live the Popular Uprising in Iran! For Committees of Action of the Workers and Poor! For Organized Self-Defense against the Police Repression! Down with the Capitalist-Theocratic Regime! Unite the Struggle of the Iranian Masses with the Arab Revolution! 01.01.2018, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/long-live-the-popular-uprising-in-iran/
Yossi Schwartz and Max Bonham: On the new Cold War between Saudi Arabia and Iran, 26.12.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/new-cold-war-between-saudi-arabia-and-iran/
Michael Pröbsting: The Great Robbery of the South. Continuity and Changes in the Super-Exploitation of the Semi-Colonial World by Monopoly Capital. Consequences for the Marxist Theory of Imperialism (Chapter 12 and 13), RCIT Books, Vienna 2013, https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/great-robbery-of-the-south/.
* * * * *
Iran After Trump’s New Threats
Statement issued by the Revive the Peace Movement Network, August 7, 2018, Original source: http://www.rpm.world/iran-after-trumps-new-threats.html
After unilaterally exiting from the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran in May 2018, an agreement which had been signed by Germany, France, Britain, Russia and China, the U.S. is planning to impose the “strongest sanctions in history” on Iran in November. Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani also proclaims “The collapse of the Islamic Republic of Iran is around the corner.” The rulers of apartheid Israel are doing all they can to have Iran destroyed by a U.S. war. The Republicans enthusiastically support Trump’s military threats. The Democrats can’t be expected to mount any serious opposition – indeed many of them will also support war. All this means the U.S. is on the road to a new war. We must oppose it.
Yet, we have to be honest. Iran’s woeful human rights record and its participation in Assad’s destruction of the Syrian revolution, mass murder of Syrian people and displacement of half the Syrian population are indefensible.
• No war on Iran, no cyberwarfare, no economic sanctions that would hurt the Iranian masses.
• The anti-war movement must remind the world about the horrors of the sanctions on Iraq 1990-2003
• Iran get out of Syria right now. Your intervention is criminal. Stop direct and indirect military intervention in Lebanon, Iraq and Yemen.
• Solidarity with the current uprising of workers, women, unemployed youth, students, teachers, farmers, oppressed ethnic and religious minorities and the dispossessed for social justice and against the Iranian regime and its military interventions abroad.
• While we express support for Iranian democratic forces struggling against the regime, we do not support monarchists and the Mojahedin-e Khalq (MEK) that support U.S. imperialism and receive money from the CIA.
• Iran, end capital punishment and free political prisoners
• Americans, realize that an attack on Iran will not only be devastating to Iranians but will likely lead to a wider war, with catastrophic consequences for the people of the Middle East, the United States, and much of the rest of the world.