Counterrevolutionary ISIS/Daesh collaborates with Assad’s Army (as well as Erdoğan and Putin) in Attacking the Syrian Liberation Fighters in Idlib
By Michael Pröbsting, International Secretary of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT), 10.10.2017, www.thecommunists.net
Very instructive events are currently taking place at the southeastern border of the Idlib province which is the largest area controlled by the supporters of the Syrian Revolution. In the morning of 9 October a large convoy of several hundred (up to 700) Daesh/ISIS fighters, including 3 tanks, one BMP (infantry fighting vehicle,) and 25 technicals (light truck mounted with weapons), attacked areas in the East Hama countryside which have been under control of the Syrian liberation forces. They surprised the rebels and succeeded in temporarily conquering 13 villages.
However, the Syrian liberation fighters in the area – led by the petty-bourgeois nationalist Islamist Hayyat Tahir al-Sham (HTS) – immediately organized the resistance and succeeded during the day to drive back the aggressors. According to the Ebaa News Agency (HTS’s official media wing), they were able to restore control of all villages concerned by the evening of the same day. (1)
It is not surprising in itself that Daesh/ISIS attacks those who are fighting for the continuation of the Syrian Revolution. They have done this for years which is why the RCIT – like many Syrian revolutionaries – characterizes them as reactionary, counter-revolutionary forces. (2)
It is however highly indicative that Daeshs’ attack takes place exactly at the same time when HTS and other Syrian liberation forces have launched a successful offensive against Assad’s army in southern Idlib. (3) During their campaign they gained fully control over the villages Abu Dali, Mushairfa and Tal Aswad since 19 September. This is noteworthy as Abu Dali is the only gate between the Syrian opposition held areas in north Syria and Syrian regime held areas in Hama city. (4)
It is likewise characteristic that this attack of Daesh/ISIS takes place at exactly the same time when the Turkish army and their FSA mercenaries are invading Idlib in the North and when the Russian air force is intensifying its terrorist attacks in that area. (5) They are doing this with the openly declared goal of smashing HTS and all other forces who oppose the counterrevolutionary Astana deal which is the instrument through which Assad, Russia, Iran and Turkey, with the tacit support of the US, want to liquidate the Syrian Revolution. (6)
However, the most instructive aspect of this episode is the location where the Daesh/ISIS fighters came from. These forces were stationed before in the Uqayribat district in Hama where they were besieged by Assad’s army for two months. (7) “Suddenly”, these encircled the Daesh/ISIS fighters were able to cross a distance of more than 35km through an area which has been under control by Assad’s forces since a very long time. This fact is undisputable and has to be admitted even by fanatical supporters of Assad and Putin like the notorious South Front website. (8)
This automatically provokes the following questions:
* How were the Daesh/ISIS fighters able to move to the rebel-controlled areas despite the fact that they were besieged and totally outnumbered by Assad’s army for two months?!
* And how was this possible given the fact that this was a large convoy with three tanks travelling such a long distance?!
* And why did the Daesh/ISIS convoy not face a single attack by Assad’s or Russia’s air force?!
The only possible conclusion is that the commanders of the Assadist and Russian forces reached an agreement with Daesh/ISIS. They allowed them to leave their pocket so that they can attack the liberated areas in Idlib. Hence we see, despite the Assadists’ empty rhetoric about being the “forward post in the struggle against the ISIS terrorists and the jihadists”, when it comes to fighting the Syrian Revolution Assad and Daesh/ISIS become good friends and direct their weapons jointly against the liberation fighters.
The RCIT has been attacked many times by the friends and semi-friends of Assad and Putin for our unwavering support for the Syrian Revolution. These fools call us “Trotskyist jihadists”, etc. But as we can see it is the Assadists which work hand in hand with the “jihadists” in order to defeat one of the most important and heroic popular uprising in recent times!
The practical collaboration of the Assadist terrorists and the Daesh terrorists against the Syrian Revolution is once more a proof of the counterrevolutionary nature of these forces.
The Revolutionary Communist International Tendency continues its support for the liberation struggle of the Syrian workers and peasants despite the extremely difficult situation it faces today. When the Revolution is under attack from all sides – the Assad dictatorship, the Turkish Erdoğan regime, Russian as well as US imperialism and finally various FSA mercenaries – it is all the more important to maintain international solidarity with those who don’t give up the struggle.
(1) Qasioun: HTS Restores Areas Of ISIS East Of Hama, 9 October 2017, http://qasioun.net/en/news/show/101592/HTS_Restores_Areas_Of_ISIS_East_Of_Hama
(2) See e.g. RCIT: The Revolutionary Struggle against Daesh and the Imperialist Aggression in the Middle East, 28.02.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/resolution-daesh/
(3) Zaman Al Wasl: ISIS takes 13 villages from Tahrir al-Sham in eastern Hama, 2017-10-09, https://en.zamanalwsl.net/news/30274.html
(4) Qasioun: What HTS Achieved In Abu Daly Battle? 8 October 2017, http://qasioun.net/en/news/show/101380/What_HTS_Achieved_In_Abu_Daly_Battle
(5) On our assessment of the Turkish-Russian invasion against Idlib see Michael Pröbsting: Syria: The Turkish-Russian Invasion against Idlib has begun! All out to defend the Syrian Revolution against the Astana Conspirators! For an anti-Assad, anti-imperialist and anti-capitulationist united front, 07.10.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/the-turkish-russian-invasion-against-idlib-has-begun/.
(6) On the RCIT’s assessment of the Astana deal see: Michael Pröbsting: Syrian Revolution: The Moment of Truth is Approaching! Rally to defend the Syrian Revolution against the Imperialist conspiracy called the "Astana Deal"! 20.09.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/syria-moment-of-truth-approaching/; RCIT: Syria: Defend Idlib against the Great Powers! Down with the reactionary Astana Deal! Defend the Revolution against the butcher Assad, against Russian and US Imperialism and the local Allies! Victory to the Struggle of the Workers and Oppressed! 04.08.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/defend-idlib-against-great-powers/; Michael Pröbsting: Syria: The Astana-Deal Struggle Intensifies. Some Notes on Recent Developments in the Syrian Civil War and the Dangers for the Liberation Struggle, 28 July 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/syrian-revolution-28-7-2017/; RCIT: Syria: Condemn the Reactionary Astana Deal! The so-called "De-Escalation Zones" are a First Step towards the Partition of Syria and a Conspiracy by the Great Powers to Defeat the Revolution, 7 May 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/astana-deal/
(7) See e.g. Qasioun: Where ISIS Sieged Fighters Eastern Hama Headed To? 9 October 2017, http://qasioun.net/en/news/show/101536/Where_ISIS_Sieged_Fighters_Eastern_Hama_Headed_To
(8) See e.g. South Front: ISIS Attacks Hayat Tahrir al-Sham In Syria’s Eastern Hama, 09.10.2017, https://southfront.org/isis-attacks-hayat-tahrir-al-sham-in-syrias-eastern-hama/
* * * * *
For the RCIT’s analysis of the Arab Revolution in general and the Syrian Revolution in particular, we refer readers to our numerous articles and documents which can be accessed from the Africa and Middle East section of our website: https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/. In particular we refer readers to the following documents:
Michael Pröbsting: Syria: The Turkish-Russian Invasion against Idlib has begun! All out to defend the Syrian Revolution against the Astana Conspirators! For an anti-Assad, anti-imperialist and anti-capitulationist united front, 07.10.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/the-turkish-russian-invasion-against-idlib-has-begun/
Michael Pröbsting: Syrian Revolution: The Moment of Truth is Approaching! Rally to defend the Syrian Revolution against the Imperialist conspiracy called the "Astana Deal"! 20.09.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/syria-moment-of-truth-approaching/
RCIT: Syria: Defend Idlib against the Great Powers! Down with the reactionary Astana Deal! Defend the Revolution against the butcher Assad, against Russian and US Imperialism and the local Allies! Victory to the Struggle of the Workers and Oppressed! 04.08.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/defend-idlib-against-great-powers/
Michael Pröbsting: Syria: The Astana-Deal Struggle Intensifies. Some Notes on Recent Developments in the Syrian Civil War and the Dangers for the Liberation Struggle, 28 July 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/syrian-revolution-28-7-2017/
RCIT: Syria: Condemn the Reactionary Astana Deal! The so-called "De-Escalation Zones" are a First Step towards the Partition of Syria and a Conspiracy by the Great Powers to Defeat the Revolution, 7 May 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/astana-deal/
Michael Pröbsting: Is the Syrian Revolution at its End? Is Third Camp Abstentionism Justified? An essay on the organs of popular power in the liberated area of Syria, on the character of the different sectors of the Syrian rebels, and on the failure of those leftists who deserted the Syrian Revolution, 5 April 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/syrian-revolution-not-dead/
Johannes Moraga: Syria: Was the Chemical Attack a “False Flag” Operation? Let’s make Syria the graveyard for Assad, Putin and Trump! Victory to the Revolution! 14 April 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/syria-false-flag/
RCIT: Syria: No to Trump's Missiles Strike! Drive all Great Powers out of Syria! Victory to the Syrian Revolution! 7 April 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/us-air-strike-in-syria/
RKO BEFREIUNG: Press Conference on Assad's Chemical Weapons Attack and the US Air Strike, Report (with video) on a press conference of the Syrian Community and the Austrian Section of the RCIT on 7 April 2017 in Vienna, https://www.thecommunists.net/rcit/press-conference-syria-7-4-2017/
Yossi Schwartz: Raqqa: Defeat the US Imperialist Offensive! An assessment of the US/SDF/YPG war against Daesh, April 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/us-offensive-in-raqqa/
RCIT: Down with the Assad Tyranny! Victory to the Syrian Revolution! For a Workers and Peasants Republic! Draft Platform of Syrian Revolutionaries in Political Solidarity with the RCIT, April 2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/draft-syria-platform/
RCIT: Defeat the Imperialist Invasion in Syria – Victory to the Revolution! Down with the American and Russian interventions! No to the imperialist plan to divide Syria! Down with the butcher Assad and his imperialist allies! 13.03.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/imperialist-invasion-in-syria/
RCIT: World Perspectives 2017: The Struggle against the Reactionary Offensive in the Era of Trumpism, Theses on the World Situation, the Perspectives for Class Struggle and the Tasks of Revolutionaries, 18 December 2016, Chapter IV. The Middle East and the State of the Arab Revolution, https://www.thecommunists.net/theory/world-perspectives-2017/part-4/
RCIT: Revolution and Counterrevolution in the Arab World: An Acid Test for Revolutionaries, 31 May 2015, http://www.thecommunists.net/theory/theses-arab-revolution/