Down with the capitalist Mullah dictatorship! Down with Imperialism! For a working class revolution in Iran!
Action Platform for Iran by the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT), February 2017, www.thecommunists.net
1. Iran is a capitalist semi-colonial country. It is ruled by a bourgeois class which utilizes the huge state-capitalist sector (about 60% of the economy) to enrich themselves and to finance the huge repressive state apparatus which they need to control their own people. Iran is a semi-colony. This means that, while formally independent, it is in fact strongly dependent economically on the world market dominated by the imperialist multinational corporations and is subordinated in world politics to the imperialist Great Powers: the US, EU, China, Russia, and Japan. It is particularly dependent on its income from oil exports which make up 24% of its entire annual economic output (GDP) and 88% of its total exports. Like other semi-colonies, Iran suffers super-exploitation by the imperialist monopolies – in particular by being forced to sell its oil exports at a lower price. While Iran is attempting to become a regional power, it in particular needs to remain subordinate to the rising imperialist powers, China and Russia. Iran increasingly acts as a policeman of imperialism in the region, as its interventions in Syria and Iraq against the rebellious masses demonstrate very clearly.
2. Iran is ruled today by a reactionary bourgeois-Islamist regime currently led by Chamene’i and Rohani. This regime oversees and enforces the systematic exploitation of the working class and suppresses any form of independent trade unions. It oppresses the numerous national minorities like the Azerbaijanis, Lurs, Kurds, Ahwazi Arabs, Balochs and others, and it suppresses women and youth. This reactionary regime came to power after the betrayal and misleading of the heroic revolution of the workers and youth in 1979 by Banisadr as well as by the leaderships of Tudeh, the People's Mujahedin and the Fedaian.
3. The exploitation and oppression of the working class, the poor peasants, the national minorities, the women and youth can only be abolished by a successful socialist revolution. Such a revolution must not be merely a coup d’état, but a mass armed uprising of the workers and the popular masses to overthrow the dictatorship. The goal of the revolution must be the establishment of a workers’ and peasant republic. In such a republic, the working class and popular masses will rule via direct-democratic councils – Shoras – based in the enterprises, neighborhoods and villages. The economy will no longer serve the capitalists, but will be publicly owned, controlled by the working people and planned in the people’s interest. It will radically solve the democratic question, by consistently giving democratic rights to all oppressed people of Iran and combining this with the establishment of social justice, a precondition for real democracy that serves the oppressed.
4. Although the Rohani government poses itself as more liberal, this is mostly an illusion to lure the Iranian masses as well as to nurture better connections with western imperialism and to open the country to western tourism. The working class and the oppressed detest the reactionary Mullah regime. Despite fierce repression, we have seen in the recent years numerous struggles like the bus-driver strike in Teheran, the mass protests after the 2009 Iranian presidential election (the “Green Movement”), the continued national liberation struggle of the Kurdish people, etc. Revolutionary Socialists support these mass protests against the regime. We fight inside these movements side by side with our brothers and sisters. We struggle inside such movements against the dangerous influence of bourgeois leaders like Mousavi, Rafsanjani and Khatami. The workers’ and democratic movement must not serve the interests of any faction of the ruling class. It must fight for its own democratic, anti-imperialist and social goals by establishing action committees of the masses to take up the lead in the struggle. Revolutionary Socialists call for support of the international workers’ movement for the progressive activists in Iran.
5. Revolutionary Socialists in Iran and around the world oppose all forms of imperialist pressure and extortion. Iran is victim of the imperialists’ greed since its proven oil and gas reserves constitute respectively 10% and 15% of world's known total. We oppose all forms of imperialist sanctions against Iran. We condemn the regular military threats of the US and Israel against Iran, as we witnessed with the latest intimidations by Donald Trump. In the vent of an imperialist attack against Iran, we call for the defense of Iran and the defeat of the imperialist powers. We call for international mass mobilizations against any such imperialist aggression.
6. We stand for international solidarity with the heroic national liberation struggle of the Palestinian people against the Zionist Apartheid state of Israel. We call for the smashing of Israel, the right of return for the millions of Palestinian refugees and the creation of a single workers’ and peasant republic in the whole of Palestine, with minority rights for the Jewish population. We support the popular revolution in Syria against the reactionary Assad dictatorship. We sharply condemn the massive support for Assad by the regime of Mullahs in Teheran and the Russian-Iranian military intervention as well as the Western intervention. The Iranian workers and oppressed must demonstrate that they have nothing in common with the Iranian government. We also condemn Iran’s support for the sectarian and pro-imperialist Iraqi government in Bagdad as well as Iran’s intervention in Iraq. We are in solidarity with the anti-imperialist liberation struggle of all oppressed people – whether this be the Afghani struggle against the NATO occupation, the US presence in Pakistan, the French occupation in Mali, the struggle of the Chechnya people against Russian occupation, or the struggle of the Uyghurs against Chinese occupation. What we need is an independent revolutionary struggle against all great powers and oppressors!
7. The struggle for liberation within Iran, as well as internationally, can only be won if we build a revolutionary socialist party nationally and internationally. Only such a party can give the necessary leadership for those struggles. Only such a party can transmit the socialist program to the masses. It is therefore the central task of all consistent revolutionary forces to focus on building such a party. The RCIT urges all revolutionaries, especially in Iran, to fight together for the founding of such a party.
Specifically, what we are fighting for in Iran, as elsewhere, is expressed in the following slogans:
* No to the privatization of public enterprises! No to price liberalizations and cuts in food subsidies!
* Expropriate the rich and use their wealth for social programs and a public employment program!
* For the right to set up independent trade unions!
* Free all political prisoners!
* Self determination for the national minorities in Iran, including the right to secede!
* Liberate women from all religious restrictions, dress codes, and male tutelage. Stop state interference in the sexual life of the people!
* Build Shoras and self-defense units to fight against the regime!
* Down with the reactionary bourgeois-Islamist regime of Chamene’i and Rohani!
* Down with Iran’s role as a regional policeman for imperialist powers (like Russia and China)!
* For a revolutionary constituent assembly!
* For a workers’ and peasants’ government!
* For international working class solidarity with the Iranian workers’ and democratic movements!
* No to imperialist sanctions and war against Iran!
* For a socialist federation of the Middle East!
* For the founding of a revolutionary workers’ party, as part of a revolutionary, Fifth Workers International!
Workers and Oppressed, Unite!