Statement of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT), 6.5.2013
1. In the last few days we witnessed several Israeli military strikes in Syria and Lebanon. These reactionary Zionist attacks have been publicly condemned by the Syrian and Lebanese government as well as by leaders of the Syrian rebel forces. Already in the past did Syrian rebel leaders condemn the reactionary Assad regime for its inaction in opposing Israel’s aggression.
2. From its beginning the RCIT supported the Revolution of Syrian workers and peasants against the bourgeois dictatorship of the Assad regime. We support the popular struggle – even if it takes place under non-working class leaderships – to bring down the dictatorship. We warn against any illusions in the secular and religious bourgeois and petty-bourgeois leaderships of the opposition. We call for the formation of action councils and armed militias of the workers and peasants which should coordinate nation-wide. Our perspective is the struggle for a workers government allied with the peasants and urban poor and based on local councils and militias.
3. The imperialist Great Powers Russia and China as well as the bourgeois regime of Iran support the reactionary Assad regime. The Western imperialist Great Powers would like to see a regime in power in Damascus which is not dependent on Moscow and Beijing but on Washington, Berlin, Paris and London. On the other hand the Western Great Powers as well as the small imperialist power Israel fear that the civil war could result in a situation where popular forces hostile against imperialism and Zionism could gain massive influence and threaten their interests in the region. The highly instable situation in Libya since the overthrow of the Gaddafi regime is a cautionary tale for the imperialists. There the US consulate and the French embassy have been already attacked and US ambassador Christopher Stevens was killed in September 2012. In addition Israel, the US and the EU are also determined to prevent weapon transfers to Hezbollah which defeated the Zionist aggressor in 2006.
4. For these reasons the Western imperialist power try to get some influence amongst the rebel forces and find some willing lackeys amongst the official opposition leadership. However their influence on the ground is rather minimal. This is why the Western imperialists don’t deliver any effective military support to the rebels but rather hope that the two sides in the civil war are bleeding dry. Similarly as during the Libyan Revolution in 2011 the Western imperialists hope for a regime change from within, i.e. they look for sectors of the Assad state apparatus which are ready to change their master and to form a new, pro-Western regime.
5. The RCIT and its Arab-Jewish section in Israel/Occupied Palestine reaffirm their revolutionary and anti-imperialist stance. We fight for the victory of the Syrian Revolution and side in the civil war with the rebel forces against Assad without giving the existing religious and secular bourgeois and petit-bourgeois leaderships of the opposition any political support. While we do not support politically Syrian's Assad regime, we oppose any military intervention by the imperialists including the Zionist imperialist apartheid state. The reactionary character of the Assad regime is once more demonstrated by the fact that it spends all its weaponry to slaughter its own people but refuses since decades to fire a single shot against Israel! We call on the Syrian opposition to fight not only the Assad bloody regime but also against any imperialist military intervention into Syria or Lebanon. We condemn Hezbollah military intervention on the side of Assad but we defend the right of Hezbollah to get any weapons it can get to defend Lebanon against Israel.
Victory to the Syrian Revolution! Down with the Assad Dictatorship!
For a Workers Government allied with the Peasants and Urban Poor and based on local councils and militias!
Defeat the Zionist Aggression! No to imperialist intervention!
International Secretariat of the RCIT
For further reading on the RCIT’s position on the Syrian Revolution and imperialist interference we refer readers to various statements and articles on the RCIT website at www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/syria-solidarity.
See also Yossi Schwartz: Victory to the Revolution in Syria! The second anniversary of the uprising in Syria, www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa/victory-to-syrian-revolution
Michael Pröbsting: Liberation struggles and imperialist interference, www.thecommunists.net/theory/liberation-struggle-and-imperialism