Victory to the workers and peasants uprising in Syria against the reactionary Assad dictatorship!
Statement of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT), 6.10.2012
1. After a mortar attack into the Turkish border town of Akcakale on the 3rd October 2012 which killed at least five people, the Turkish military started a series of artillery strikes against targets in Syria. The parliament of Turkey – a long-time member of the imperialist NATO alliance – has authorized cross-border military action against Syria, valid for one year, if deemed necessary by the government. While it is unclear, if the Turkish army will immediately move into Syrian territory, it is obvious that the ruling class is considering military intervention in Northern Syria as a realistic option in the foreseeable future. The AKP government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan wants to follow a similar policy of unhindered military interventions as it is doing for years in the Kurdish areas in Northern Iraq. As a result thousands of people gathered in Istanbul's Taksim Square on 4th October for an anti-war rally. Demonstrators chanted: "No to war! Peace now! We won't be soldiers of imperialists!" and some banners accused the AKP of being a stooge of the US.
2. The Turkish governments war-mongering demonstrates once more the ruling class’s desire
a) to enlarge both its and NATO’s influence in the region and
b) to contain and crush the two liberation struggles which are going on in respectively next to Turkey: the popular uprising in Syria against the reactionary Assad regime and the national liberation struggle of the Kurdish people in Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran.
3. The working class and oppressed people in Turkey, Syria and the Middle East region must develop a policy which is based on the following principles:
a) Unconditional support for the popular uprising in Syria against the Assad regime with the perspective to advance it to the establishment of a workers and peasants government based on councils and militias;
b) Unconditional support for the national liberation struggle of the Kurdish people in all countries with the perspective to advance it to the establishment of an independent socialist Kurdistan;
c) Fight the imperialist Great Power policy in the Middle East! Support the resistance in Afghanistan against the imperialist NATO occupiers! Support the resistance of the Palestinian and Lebanese people against Israel! Defend Iran against an Israeli and/or US attack! Down with Russian and Chinese imperialism’s support for the Assad regime!
4. A possible military intervention of Turkey into Northern Syria would be a dangerous blow for the Kurdish liberation struggle. It would certainly endanger the recent progress which the Kurdish liberation movement made under the leadership of the petty-bourgeois-nationalist PKK and its Syrian front, the Party of the Democratic Union. In Turkey, the PKK recently launched a number of successful attacks against the Turkish army (including a major assault on the town of Semdinli) and in Syria it took control over much of the Kurdish territories in northern Syria. As Bolshevik-Communists we fight for the formation of a proletarian internationalist party as an alternative political leadership. However we fully support the Kurdish liberation struggle and the PKK guerillas against the Turkish army which is nothing but a foreign occupation power of Kurdish territory.
5. A possible military intervention of Turkey into Northern Syria would also be a dangerous blow for the Syrian revolution. Bourgeois leaders of the Syrian National Council or the Free Syrian Army might claim that the Turkish army intervention would create a buffer zone to help the freedom fighters. However, in reality it would only help the Turkish and the NATO imperialists ruling class to contain and control the Syrian liberation struggle. It would strengthen the imperialist’s attempts to rob the rebel movement of its independence.
6. For these reasons – and not out of any sympathy for the reactionary, bourgeois butcher regime of Assad – the RCIT strongly opposes any intervention of the Turkish army in Northern Syria. We call the workers movement in Turkey, in the whole region and in the NATO countries to mobilize against any military intervention of the Turkish army. We call both the Kurdish and the Syrian liberation fighters to struggle as much as possible against an intrusion of the Turkish army. We call the international workers movement to support the liberation struggle of both the Kurdish people and of the Syrian workers and peasants by material (including military) aid and by mass mobilizations.
7. The RCIT consider the formation of a World Party for Socialist Revolution – the Fifth International – as the most urgent task in order to build a political leadership which can give the manifold class struggles, including struggles for national liberation, a perspective to win. Such a world party should be based on a revolutionary program, i.e. a program which links the present struggles against national oppression, dictatorships and austerity programs with the perspective of the socialist revolution.
* No to any military intervention by Turkey/NATO in Syria!
* Victory to the popular uprising in Syria against the Assad regime! For a workers and peasants government based on councils and militias!
* For an international solidarity campaign of the workers movement with the Syrian rebels!
* For an independent socialist Kurdistan!
* For a socialist federation of the people of the Middle East!