Austria: Israelite Cultus Community suffers defeat in its attack on Free Speech and Palestine Solidarity
Statement of the RKOB, Austrian section of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency, (RCIT), 10.1.2013, www.thecommunists.net
The public prosecution department of Vienna informed us on 8th January that the charge against 20-year old RKOB spokesman and Palestine solidarity activist Johannes Wiener has been dropped. As we reported, comrade Wiener has been charged of “sedition” because of his pro-Palestinian speech at a Gaza demonstration on 16.11.2012 in Austria. (1) In case of conviction by court, our comrade Johannes Wiener would have been threatened with up to two years in jail.
The end of this charge against Johannes Wiener is a big success. It is a success not only for the RKOB but for the whole Palestine solidarity movement. The pro-Israeli war mongers wanted to use our comrade as a warning. They wanted to criminalize anything that can be interpreted as an open partisanship for the Palestinian resistance. As we reported, the Israelite Cultus Community sees "sedition" in the following statements of Johannes Wiener in his speech at the Palestine Solidarity rally on 16.11.2012:
* The repeated chanting of the slogan "INTIFADA" as well as the expression of support for the Intifada of the Palestinian people.
* The expression of support for the Palestinian resistance against the Israeli state, both in its unarmed and its armed form.
* The call for the destruction ("extinction") of the State of Israel and for the existence of a single state in all of Palestine from the River to the Sea.
As the RKOB already said in its statements, this charge was a fundamental attack on the basic democratic rights of free speech! This attack was part of the imperialist and Zionist persecution of anti-imperialist resistance. The friends of Apartheid-Israel and US imperialism wage war not only in Palestine, Afghanistan and other countries. They also wage a global political campaign against the anti-imperialist resistance. The denouncement of resistance organizations as “terrorist organizations” – like the Palestinian PFLP, Hamas, the Kurdish PKK, DHKC in Turkey, the Tamil LTTE etc. – by the European Union and the US is part of an international class struggle from above, in the interest of monopoly capital. It is the same with the persecution of the US soldier Bradley Manning because of his supposed leaking of secret information’s on the US imperialist wars to Wikileaks. And now, the wanted to continue this reactionary crusade against Johannes Wiener and the RKOB in Austria.
The solidarity with the anti-imperialist resistance is part of the international class struggle from below, of which the RKOB and the RCIT are part of.
The fact that we have major political differences with the organizations mentioned above and that we consider them as petty-bourgeois-nationalist, Islamist or Stalinist does not alter the fact that they are part of national liberation movements and that we are in solidarity with them against the repression. For us as revolutionary communists, the anti-imperialist struggle is part of the socialist liberation struggle of the working class and the oppressed. (2)
The reactionary war mongers have suffered a defeat for now – also thanks to the broad solidarity campaign. All in all, organizations and activists from more than 20 countries (including Israel) have expressed their solidarity with Johannes Wiener. (3) We want to express many thanks to all of them! The success of the Austrian and international solidarity campaign for Johannes Wiener is a success for the whole anti-imperialist resistance.
However, it would be wrong to imagine it is all over now. The fact that the Israelite Cultus Community and other friends of Israel dared to wage such an attack against free speech shows, what this people are prepared to do in their fanatical support for state terrorism. After suffering a defeat in their first attempt, they will certainly wage more attempts to intimidate and to silence the Palestine solidarity movement. In Palestine and other countries, the ruling class of Israel has shown that it uses all possible means to eliminate their enemies.
That‘s why the solidarity campaign for Johannes Wiener was important. We had a success for now. We are now stronger to face the next attacks of the Israelite Cultus Community which acts as a foreign arm of Apartheid-Israel. We fight since years and decades against imperialism and capitalism and will not be intimidated by such pathetic attempts to criminalize us. The class struggle continues!
Long live international solidarity! Long live the Palestinian liberation struggle!
Forward in the struggle for socialism!
Unity – Struggle – Victory!
(1) See “Austria: Israelite Cultus Community attempts to criminalize partisanship for the Palestinian Resistance! Charge of “Sedition” against RKOB Spokesperson and Palestine Solidarity Activist Johannes Wiener is a Pretext for Attack on Freedom of Expression”, Statement of the RKOB, 20.12.2012, http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa/no-criminalization-of-solidarity-with-palestine; “Austria: Pro-Israeli War-Mongers try to throw 20-year old Palestine Solidarity Activist into Prison. RKOB spokesperson Johannes Wiener is accused of „sedition” because of a Pro-Palestine speech during the Gaza War”, Statement of the RKOB, Austrian section of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency, 13.12.2012, http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa/no-to-criminalization-of-rcit-activist. The speech can be seen at http://www.rkob.net/multimedia/video-gaza-16-nov-2012, http://www.heute.at/news/oesterreich/wien/art23652,826047, http://www.heute.at/news/oesterreich/wien/sts23561,9345
(2) An overview on our position on Israel and Zionism is given in: After the storming of the Israeli embassy in Cairo: The struggle against the Israeli Apartheid State is an integral part of the Arab Revolution! Resolution of the Revolutionary Communist Organisation for Liberation (RKOB), 15.9.2011, http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa/israel-and-arab-revolution. See also (in German language) Michael Pröbsting: Israel, Zionismus und Antisemitismus (2006), http://www.rkob.net/marxistische-theorie/politischer-charakter-antinationale. Michael Pröbsting: Am Beispiel des Iraks: Anti-Imperialistische Strategie und Taktik, ArbeiterInnenstandpunkt (October 1990); Workers Power (Britain): Working class action to defeat imperialism Victory to Iraq! (1991), http://www.fifthinternational.org/content/working-class-action-defeat-imperialism-victory-iraq; Michael Pröbsting: Kampf dem Imperialismus! Verteidigt den Irak!, in: ArbeiterInnenstandpunkt Nr. 32 (Januar 1991); Michael Pröbsting: Stoppt den imperialistischen Massenmord!, in: ArbeiterInnenstandpunkt Nr. 33 (Februar 1991); Workers Power (Britain): Questions & Answers on the Afghan war (2001), http://www.fifthinternational.org/content/qa-afghan-war; Michael Pröbsting: Nieder mit dem US/NATO-Krieg! Verteidigt Afghanistan! in: ArbeiterInnenstandpunkt Nr. 116 (Januar 2001), http://arbeiterinnenstandpunkt.net/alt/ast116afghanistan.html; Michael Pröbsting: Die Lehren aus dem imperialistischen Sieg im Afghanistan-Krieg, in: ArbeiterInnenstandpunkt Nr. 118 (Januar 2002), http://arbeiterinnenstandpunkt.net/alt/ast118afghanistan1.html; Michael Pröbsting: Fragen und Antworten vor dem Irak-Krieg: Wo stehen wir? http://arbeiterinnenstandpunkt.net/alt/ast125irak1.html; Workers Power (Britain): Iraq: resistance grows to occupation (2003), http://www.fifthinternational.org/content/iraq-resistance-grows-occupation; Michael Pröbsting: Krieg den Kriegstreibern!, in: ArbeiterInnenstandpunkt Nr. 126 (March 2003) http://arbeiterinnenstandpunkt.net/alt/rn67.html; Michael Pröbsting: Der israelische Terrorkrieg gegen das libanesische und palästinensische Volk, in: ArbeiterInnenstandpunkt Nr. 144 (August 2006), http://arbeiterinnenstandpunkt.net/alt/rn221.html#2; Michael Pröbsting: Der Libanon-Krieg und die Linke: Pazifistische Linke als verkleidete Diener des Imperialismus, in: Revolutionärer Marxismus Nr. 36 (2006), http://www.thecommunists.net/theory/libanon-krieg-und-linke; Michael Pröbsting: Solidarität mit dem palästinensischen Widerstand, in: BEFREIUNG Nr. 172 (Januar 2009), http://www.thecommunists.net/theory/gaza-krieg-fragen-antworten; Nina Gunić: Islamismus – Was sind seine Ziele und was ist unsere Haltung?, in: BEFREIUNG Nr. 173 (Februar 2009); Michael Pröbsting: Palästina: Solidarität und Widerstand, in: BEFREIUNG Nr. 188 (June 2010); RCIT: New Wave of Israeli Terror against Gaza: Support the Palestinian Resistance! Defeat the Zionist killing machine! Statement of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency, 15.11.2012, http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa/defend-gaza. See also RCIT: The Revolutionary Communist Manifesto, www.thecommunists.net/rcit-manifesto/revolutionary-struggle-for-democracy
(3) See the list of solidarity messages on our website http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa/solidarity-with-johannes-wiener as well as the list of solidarity messages from Israel http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa/antizionist-solidarity-from-israel