Organize the Uprising in Workers, Peasant, and Youth Popular Committees! Revitalize the Arab Revolution! Smash the Imperialist Apartheid State Israel!
Statement of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT) and the Internationalist Socialist League (RCIT-Section in Israel / Occupied Palestine), 7.7.2014, www.thecommunists.net
1. A specter is haunting Israel and the Middle East – the specter of the Third Palestinian Intifada. For several days, the Palestinian masses have poured out to the streets in protest against the brutal murder of Mohammed Khdair, a 17-year-old Palestinian teenager, who was burned alive. During the past weeks, at least 600 Palestinians have been arrested in the West Bank. At the same time Israeli society is boiling over with racist hatred and calls for the lynching of Arabs in revenge for the abduction and murder of three young Jewish settlers. In addition, the Israeli army has concentrated forces at the border with Gaza and threatens to commence yet another massive military strike against the Palestinian population. In short, the Israeli state is mobilizing all its forces to prepare for the annihilation of Palestinian resistance.
2. The Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT) and the Internationalist Socialist League (RCIT-Section in Israel / Occupied Palestine) are in full solidarity with the Palestinian uprising which may prove to be the beginning of the Third Intifada. Since 1967, Palestinians in the West Bank experience terror daily at the hands of Israeli occupation forces. Hundreds have been killed in the last few years, thousands are held in prisons, and millions live in hunger, humiliation, and poverty. In Gaza, nearly two million Palestinians are cut off from the world and, since 2007, are living in an open-air prison. How can anyone expect such an oppressed people to vegetate in passivity and agony?! The occupied, oppressed Palestinian people of the West Bank have every right to rise up, and we are in full solidarity with their struggle! At the same time, we support the military struggle of the Palestinian people residing in Gaza against the all-powerful Israeli army. The international workers’ movement must mobilize for the support of the Palestinian struggle. For this reason, it is encouraging that the largest single trade union in Britain, UNITE, recently decided at its congress to support the international boycott campaign against the apartheid State of Israel.
3. Since its founding in 1948, Western imperialism has typically and continuously supported Israel, the No. 1 recipient of US foreign aid. In recent years, Germany has provided Israel with several Dolphin-class submarines, capable of launching cruise missiles bearing nuclear warheads. Imperialist Russia, too, has improved its relations with Israel in recent years. It is urgent that the international workers’ movement and solidarity campaigns fight for the immediate end of financial aid and military support for the Zionist state.
4. While the main enemy is the Israel, the Palestinian masses also face major obstacles within their own camp. The Palestinian Authority, led by President Mahmoud Abbas and the bourgeois-nationalist Fatah party, collaborates with Israel and the imperialist powers. Hamas, a bourgeois Islamist party, has to pretend that it is actively resisting Israel, since it is more subject to the pressure of the Palestinian masses. However, Hamas too is looking to reach an agreement with the Israeli government. Both Fatah and Hamas fear a Third Intifada, since implicit to such a broad popular revolt is the danger that the masses will break free from the control of these organizations and begin to mobilize independently. It is precisely because of Fatah’s and Hamas’ fear of such an explosion that the Palestinian masses need to organize themselves in popular committees, independent of their bourgeois leaderships. These committees should meet regularly and plan resistance activities. They should establish self-defense groups – which ideally will include progressive Jews who are prepared to defend the Palestinians – to resist the terror of the Israeli army. Most importantly, the formation of a revolutionary workers’ party is long overdue so that the Palestinians have a real, vital political alternative to the existing rotten bourgeois leaderships.
5. Alone, the Palestinian masses themselves are not strong enough to defeat the powerful Israeli state. In these days and the near future, the central task is to build a region-wide, anti-imperialist popular resistance of Arab workers, poor peasants, and youth, one which will be independent of the rotten bourgeois regimes which, while often paying lip service to solidarity with the Palestinians, in fact merely act as servants of the imperialist powers and thereby only help consolidate the political order which ensures the continued existence of the Israeli apartheid state. In fact, a Third Intifada could act as a trigger for the revival of the Arab Revolution. This is particularly true for Egypt, where the reactionary military dictatorship of General al-Sisi is brutally repressing popular resistance. Equally, it could revitalize the Syrian revolution which is currently being weakened by the combined pressure of the armed forces of the Assad dictatorship as well as the ISIS reactionary Islamists. Such a region-wide struggle of the Arab workers and youth could mobilize the forces to smash Israel and found a Palestinian state from the river to the sea as part of a socialist federation of the Middle East. It could also convince a section of the Israeli working class to break with the racist apartheid state and join the struggle of the Palestinian and Arab workers and youth for equality and liberation.
6. The RCIT and the ISL have always supported the national liberation struggle of the Palestinian people. That is why, in the struggle between the Palestinians and the Israeli state, we are always on the side of the former – regardless of our absolute rejection of the bourgeois and petty-bourgeois forces at the forefront of these struggles. All Palestinian political prisoners held by Israel must be set free immediately. All Palestinians must have the right to return to their homeland. Likewise, the land grab must be reversed and the Palestinians must see to it that their land is returned to them.
7. A Jewish state in Palestine can only survive as long as the ongoing forced exile of the Palestinians continues to exist. A "two-state solution" would deny the Palestinians the right of return. Likewise, a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza would be reduced to a Bantustan, a dependent de-facto colony of the much richer and more powerful Israel. We therefore reject the so-called "two-state solution" which is promoted by the Fatah leadership as well as by numerous Stalinist, social democratic, and centrist forces both in Israel as well as around the world. Instead we struggle to achieve a single state in the whole of Palestine in which the Palestinians would naturally constitute the majority. In this reality, the State of Israel will be replaced by a Democratic, Palestinian, Multinational and Socialist Workers and Fallahin Republic from the River to the Sea.
8. The international workers’ movement and all progressive organizations must rally to support the uprising of the Palestinian people. We call for solidarity actions around the world. Specifically, the RCIT and the ISL call for:
* Victory to the Palestinian resistance! Support the Popular Uprising! Defend Gaza! Defeat the Israeli aggression!
* For popular committees and self-defense guards composed of Palestinian workers, poor peasants, and youth in places of work, towns, and villages to plan and launch a grass-roots Intifada.
* For international solidarity actions including demonstrations and boycott actions against Israel!
* Lift the Israeli blockade against the Gaza! Egyptian workers and peasants: Break the reactionary blockade of the al-Sisi regime against Gaza!
* Israeli workers and youth: Turn against the racist demagogues! Defend the Palestinians against the reactionary settlers, the fascist gangs, and the army!
* Unite the Arab Revolution with a renewed Intifada in Palestine! Support the Syrian Revolution against the reactionary Assad dictatorship! Bring down the reactionary military dictatorship of General al-Sisi in Egypt! Support the Sunni Uprising in Iraq!
* Onward to the building of a revolutionary workers’ party as part of a Fifth International based on a revolutionary program!
International Secretariat of the RCIT
For more RCIT historical analyses of Israel as a Zionist apartheid state and the revolutionary program for the Palestinian liberation struggle in numerous documents and articles, see among others:
Yossi Schwartz: Israel's War of 1948 and the Degeneration of the Fourth International, in: Revolutionary Communism, Special Issue on Palestine, No. 10, June 2013, www.thecommunists.net/theory/israel-s-war-of-1948-1
Yossi Schwartz: Israel’s Six-Day War of 1967. On the Character of the War, the Marxist Analysis and the Position of the Israeli Left, in: Revolutionary Communism, No. 12, July/August 2013, www.thecommunists.net/theory/israel-s-war-of-1967
Michael Pröbsting: On some Questions of the Zionist Oppression and the Permanent Revolution in Palestine, in: Revolutionary Communism, Special Issue on Palestine, No. 10, June 2013, http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/permanent-revolution-in-palestine