Joint Statement of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT), Colectivo Rebelión (México), Grupo Interdisciplinario de Participación Inclusiva (México), 10 August 2018
1. The Nicaraguan workers, poor and youth are rising up against the repressive regime of President Daniel Ortega and his wife, Vice-President Rosario Murillo. Provoked by the announcement of a reactionary pension reform, in line with the dictates of the imperialist IMF, the protests began in May and have been transformed into a popular uprising against the corrupted and authoritarian regime by now.
2. In response to peaceful mass protests, the regime tried to suppress them with utmost brutality. According to human rights groups, more than 300 demonstrators have already been killed and more than 1500 wounded. However, the popular masses don’t stop fighting. They are now defending themselves against the police and army thugs that are recovering some important districts like Masaya which were liberated by the masses from the regime’s control. Instead of limiting their demands to a withdrawal of the austerity program, they now call for the resignation of Ortega and Murillo.
3. The Ortega-Murillo regime claims to advance popular interests and the ideas of socialism. It also claims to stand in the tradition of the Frente Sandinista de Liberación Nacional (FSLN) which led the heroic revolution in 1979. The truth is exactly the opposite: the FSLN today leads a regime which is anti-popular and it serves the interests of a small capitalist clique and their imperialist masters. It does not represent the continuity of the 1979 revolution bur rather its negation.
4. The regime slanders the workers and youth as “agents of U.S. imperialism”. Unfortunately such reactionary denunciation is repeated by various pseudo-leftist forces which usually opportunistically hail China, Russia and the tyrannical Assad regime in Syria. But the truth is: This is an authentic popular uprising against a regime which acts as a servant of the capitalists and imperialists!
5. At the same time we oppose attempts of all reactionary and imperialist forces to interfere in Nicaragua. The task to overthrow the Ortega-Murillo regime is the sole responsibility of the Nicaraguan workers and poor!
6. The road forward for the popular masses in Nicaragua is to organize themselves in workers and popular councils and militias and to fight for a government which rests on such organs. Such a strategy for liberation must include a determined struggle against capitalist forces like the businessmen of COSEP and the Alianza Cívica por la Justicia y la Democracia.
7. We call the international mass organizations of the working class and popular masses to rally in support of the uprising of the workers, poor and youth in Nicaragua and to stop the slaughter.
The undersigned organizations
Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (Zambia, Kenya, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Yemen, Tunisia, Israel / Occupied Palestine, Brazil, Mexico, Aotearoa/New Zealand, Britain, Germany, and Austria), www.thecommunists.net
Colectivo Rebelión (México), www.rebelion.lat (Remark: “The ongoing mobilization must fight for the expropriation of all land, the private bug industry and of the whole private tourist sector which is in the hands of the capitalists.")
Grupo Interdisciplinario de Participación Inclusiva (México), https://www.facebook.com/Grupo-Interdisciplinario-de-Participaci%C3%B3n-Inclusiva-803935076374657/