Syria attack, Protectionist Tariffs and Salisbury poisoning: Against all imperialist diplomatic, economic and military aggression! In U.S., EU, Russia and China: The Main Enemy is at Home! Support democratic and national liberation struggles of oppressed people!
1. There has been a significant acceleration of tensions between the imperialist powers in the past days and weeks. On 4 March, a former Russian spy turned double agent for the British Secret Service MI6, Sergei Skripal, and his daughter Yulia, were poisoned in Salisbury on British soil. The British government accused Russia as responsible for this attack and soon most Western governments, including the U.S., joined in. As a result, 24 Western governments expelled more than 100 Russian diplomats. Russia retaliated by expelling Western diplomats. Furthermore, U.S. imperialism imposed sanctions against several oligarchs who are close to Russian President Putin. There are also talks about tightening economic sanctions which are already in place since the beginning of the civil war in the Ukraine in 2014.
2. In the same month, the U.S. Trump Administration enforced a 25% tariff on steel and a 10% tariff on aluminum imports. These protectionist tariffs are directed against imperialist rivals, including Europe and China. The latter have already threatened to retaliate.
3. More dramatically, the ongoing imperialist aggression of Russia as well as of the Western powers in Syria against liberation forces as well as against Daesh/ISIS could spill over into direct clashes between the Great Powers. Accusing the Assad regime of committing a chemical gas attack against the rebel-held enclave in Douma on 7 April, the U.S., the French and the British governments are threatening to launch military attacks against positions of the Syrian regime. In response, Russia, which is the most important ally of the Syrian dictator, threatens with retaliation.
4. This acceleration of inter-imperialist rivalry demands a clear anti-imperialist, internationalist and pro-liberation position of the international workers movement. The Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT) and the Marxist Group ‘Class Politics’ (MGKP) call all revolutionaries to take a resolute stand on these latest developments. We condemn all those forces as opportunist and social-imperialist which, openly or hidden, side either with Western or with Eastern imperialism. U.S., EU, Russia or China – none of them is “the lesser evil” for the international working class and the oppressed people!
5. The RCIT and MGKP call for:
* Oppose all imperialist Great Powers – in West and East. Down with U.S., EU, Russian, and Chinese imperialism! The Main Enemy is at Home! For a socialist revolution of the working class and the oppressed to smash all imperialist states!
* In West and East: No to diplomatic and economic sanctions and no to protectionist tariffs! These measures only serve the imperialist governments to instigate chauvinism and aim to bolster popular support at home!
* Stop all imperialist attacks in Syria! Russian and U.S. troops and air forces – out of Syria! Close down all foreign military bases in Syria!
* Down with the regimes in Syria, Iran and Turkey! No to the reactionary Saudi war against the Yemeni people!
* Support the liberation struggle against the Assad regime! Victory to the resistance of the Afghan people against the U.S. occupation forces and their local marionettes!
* Down with imperialist Israel! Victory for the Palestinian liberation struggle!
* For a Socialist Federation of the Middle East! For a World Party of Socialist Revolution!