For Immediate release,
2nd April, 2021.
On the 13th of March 2020, the Government of Kenya confirmed the first case of Corona Virus in the Country. This was followed by an enactment of measures to contain the spread of the virus. A partial lock down, the enforcement of curfew hours, closure of schools and a cessation of movement were put in place to curb the spread of the virus. However, it quickly became apparent that these measures adversely affected the economy leading to a massive loss of jobs, an increase in gender based violence and femicide, an increase in state repression manifested by police brutality while enforcing Covid-19 measures, a lack of food and necessities in many homes and the corrupt rise of Covid-19 Millionaires.
A year later, on Friday, 26th March 2021, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced new measures, amounting to a go-back to the initial unproductive protocols under the guise of fighting the Covid-19 crisis. No measures have been put in place to cushion Kenyans against the negative economic and social impacts of the pandemic.
It is without a doubt that life is getting increasingly unbearable for the people of Kenya. Besides a massive loss of jobs among our population and a terrible economic crisis due to state mismanagement and corruption, we are faced with an acute water shortage, with cases of police killings and brutality on the increase. Majority of Kenyans cannot access proper medical services. Rent and food is unaffordable. Access to menstrual products is difficult for many.
People in Kenya are experiencing a gigantic wave of attacks. The crisis of neoliberalism throws millions of people into poverty. The lockdown and expansion of state repression threatens the limited democratic rights which have existed in many parts of the world and the Covid-19 pandemic endangers the health and lives of many people.
THEREFORE, WE THE PEOPLE OF KENYA DEMAND:
1. Immediate lifting of the partial lockdown and dusk to dawn curfew
2. Provision of food for everyone
3. Immediate end to police killings and brutality and State Repression
4. Access to free and quality healthcare for everyone
5. Provision of clean water for everyone
6. Provision of decent housing for everyone, and an immediate suspension of rent
7. Equitable access to jobs for everyone, and an end to mass unemployment
8. Access to free quality education for everyone
9. Immediate end to gender based violence and femicide
10. Right to land for everyone
11. Immediate scrap-off of increased taxes on fuel and other items
12. Provision of menstrual hygiene products to all women and girls
We call upon the patriotic citizens of Kenya to rise up and demand to live a dignified life!
We call upon the patriotic citizens of Kenya to join the push for equality, freedom and justice!
We call upon the people of Kenya to stand up for their sake and for the sake of future generations!
We call upon the people of Kenya to SAY NO TO STATE REPRESSION, POVERTY, UNEMPLOYMENT, LANDLESSNESS AND DISEASE!
We call upon the people of Kenya to join the PEOPLE’S MARCH and SAY YES TO JOBS, FOOD, HEALTH AND DIGNIFIED LIVING!
THE PEOPLE, UNITED, SHALL NEVER BE DEFEATED!