Yemeni popular resistance eliminates three pro-Saudi military brigades
Statement of the Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT), 02.10.2019, www.thecommunists.net
1. The corrupt capitalist monarchy of Saudi Arabia has suffered another humiliating blow. A few weeks after a major air strike resulted in huge destructions of Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure, the Houthi movement (officially called Ansar Allah) published reports about a devastating attack against pro-Saudi forces. According to Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree, they had defeated three enemy military brigades in a three-day large-scale operation in late August. More than 200 pro-Saudi fighters were killed and over 2,000 were taken prisoner. Among the prisoners are also Saudi soldiers. (The Houthis’ Al-Masirah TV showed a video clip of the attack: https://youtu.be/Goj3poVXKvo) A Yemeni government source confirmed that some 200 soldiers were killed in an attack in late August, but that “only” about 1,300 fighters were still being held, including 280 who were wounded. The operation was conducted close to the border to Saudi Arabia and, according to the Houthis, partly even in the Saudi province of Najran.
2. The Revolutionary Communist International Tendency (RCIT) strongly welcomes this success of the Yemeni popular resistance! We have consistently warned that the Saudi monarchy is waging an arch-reactionary war of aggression against the Yemeni people. Contrary to many pseudo-socialists who denounce the Yemeni civil war as reactionary on all sides, we have unconditionally supported the Yemeni resistance from the beginning of the war in March 2015.
3. It has to be pointed out that the Saudi-led invasion has received massive support from Western Great Powers – in particular U.S. imperialism. Saudi Arabia became the world's largest arms importer from 2014 to 2018. According to SIPRI, 88% of all arms sold to the country came from the U.S.! However, despite their overwhelming military superiority the tyrants in Riyadh have been incapable of defeating the Houthis! The main reason for this is that the Houthis are leading a legitimate national liberation war which has broad popular support.
4. Our support for the military struggle of the Yemeni resistance against the Saudi-led alliance doesn't mean support for the political leadership of the Houthis. Quite the opposite: we strongly reject the petty-bourgeois nationalist-Islamist agenda of the Houthi leadership. Likewise, we strongly denounce their support for the reactionary Mullah regime in Iran which is waging a brutal war of annihilation against the Syrian people. However, together with our comrades in the RCIT in Yemen we stress that it is the duty of democrats, anti-imperialists, and socialists in Yemen and the Arab world, as well as internationally, to support the Yemeni people’s struggle for national independence.
5. The latest blow intensifies the crisis of the richest state in the Middle East which is also the most important Arab ally of US imperialism. It is evident that the Saudi tyrants are faltering. Significantly, they have now asked the hostile Iranian regime, via mediators like Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan, for negotiations in order “to defuse tensions”. As we have noted somewhere else, it is not accidental that the most important gang leaders of the Western counterrevolution – Trump, Johnson, Netanyahu and Sisi – are currently also in deep trouble. These developments reflect the crisis of the imperialist world order and the upswing of the class struggle.
6. We point out that it is a shameful fact that numerous self-proclaimed socialist organizations have denounced the legitimate resistance of the Yemeni people as “reactionary”. They have refused to support this struggle as they have refused to continue supporting the legitimate popular struggles in other sectors of the Great Arab Revolution (e.g. Syria, Libya). They wrongly identify the character of these liberation struggles with the specific ideology of their petty-bourgeois (usually Islamist) leaderships. This is a profoundly mistaken method which would have make it impossible for revolutionaries to fulfill their internationalist duty in defending the USSR (with the totalitarian Stalinist dictatorship) against the imperialist Great Powers, Argentina (with a right-wing dictatorship) against Britain in 1982, Afghanistan (with the Taliban) against U.S. imperialism in 2001, or Iraq (with the bourgeois nationalist dictatorship of Saddam Hussein) against Western imperialism in 1991 and 2003.
7. The latest defeats for the Saudi tyrants are another manifestation of the new wave of the Second Arab Revolution. The events in Algeria, Sudan and, most recently, in Egypt and Iraq show that the popular struggles against dictatorships are gaining momentum again. It is important to show international solidarity with the struggle of the Yemeni people as well as all other Arab people. Revolutionaries must support these struggles and advocate uniting them into a single Intifada of the entire Middle East – from Algiers, Khartoum, Idlib, Tripoli, Sanaʽa, Gaza, Cairo to Teheran! Most importantly, they should work together in building revolutionary parties – in combination with building a Revolutionary World Party! We urge activists to unite on the basis of a program of socialist liberation and solidarity with the struggles of workers and oppressed in other countries. Join the RCIT in tackling this great task!
* * * * *
The RCIT has published a number of statements and articles on the civil war in Yemen which can be read on our website: https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/
In particular we refer readers to:
After the Death of Saleh: Continue the Defense of Yemen against the Al-Saud Gang of Aggressors! 12.10.2017, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/yemen-after-the-death-of-saleh/
Yemen: The al-Hadi Puppet Government Calls for an Imperialist Invasion! Victory to Yemen! Defeat the Al-Saud Gang of Aggressors! 8.5.2015, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/assault-on-yemen/
Michael Pröbsting: Highly Encouraging Solidarity Actions! French activists successfully obstructed Saudi vessels due to load weapons for the barbarous war in Yemen for the second time, 04.06.2019, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/french-activists-obstruct-saudi-arms-vessel/
RCIT: Aramco Attack: Defeat the US/Saudi/Israeli Warmongers! Defend Iran against any imperialist aggression! But no political support for the reactionary Mullah Regime in Teheran! 16 September 2019, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/aramco-attack-defeat-the-us-saudi-israeli-warmongers/
Michael Pröbsting: The Gang Leaders of Western Counterrevolution Are Faltering. Some observations on an interesting historic moment in the world situation, 25 September 2019, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/global/the-gang-leaders-of-western-counterrevolution-are-faltering/
Warmongering in the Middle East: Down with all Imperialist Great Powers and Capitalist Dictatorships! 13 May 2018, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/joint-statement-warmongering-in-the-middle-east/